Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

animation from two perpendicular cut planes with data set edges for BOTH

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, can anyone help me with creating animation with two perpendicular cut planes in 2D side by side?

I can do it like this, but I get data edges only for the first cut plane.
I define two Cut planes (in Results > data sets).
Then I define 2D plot group with data source Cut plane 1.
First surface has data from its parent (it is not possible to create animation without this)/
For the second surface i define data source Cut plane 2 and deformation funcion only with X values which defines the shift.

Now I get data edges only for Cut plane 1. Is there any way to get the data edges also for shifted Cut plane 2?

Bottom line: It is nice, that COMSOL added possibility for creating animations like this. I think, that in previous version, the only surface with data from 2D plot group was animated and the second was still.

4 Replies Last Post 10 ott 2014, 05:49 GMT-4
Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 years ago 9 ott 2014, 02:11 GMT-4
Data set edges is essentially a line plot, so you can get the effect that you want as follows: Add a line plot to the plot group and set it to point to the second cut plane. Add a deformation attribute with the same settings as the second surface plot. Change the color settings in the line plot to uniform/black.
Data set edges is essentially a line plot, so you can get the effect that you want as follows: Add a line plot to the plot group and set it to point to the second cut plane. Add a deformation attribute with the same settings as the second surface plot. Change the color settings in the line plot to uniform/black.

Posted: 10 years ago 9 ott 2014, 04:36 GMT-4
Great idea! thanks you a lot.

Is there option to put time in title in different format (eg. hours) for the animation?

Matej Cerny
Great idea! thanks you a lot. Is there option to put time in title in different format (eg. hours) for the animation? Matej Cerny

Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 years ago 9 ott 2014, 05:30 GMT-4

Is there option to put time in title in different format (eg. hours) for the animation?

In 4.4, we added support for specifying time units in the study and results node. If you use hours when solving the model, then the time in the title in the animation will also be in hours. You can't use different time units when solving and animating, though.

[QUOTE] Is there option to put time in title in different format (eg. hours) for the animation? [/QUOTE] In 4.4, we added support for specifying time units in the study and results node. If you use hours when solving the model, then the time in the title in the animation will also be in hours. You can't use different time units when solving and animating, though.

Posted: 10 years ago 10 ott 2014, 05:49 GMT-4
It would be nice to have possibility to use some variables in custom title style like %time_hours%, or just option to force the time in title. Because in my two_cut_plate_animation time is not automaticaly inserted..
It would be nice to have possibility to use some variables in custom title style like %time_hours%, or just option to force the time in title. Because in my two_cut_plate_animation time is not automaticaly inserted..

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.