Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

mesh error - "Mesh of linking face must be a structured quad mesh"

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I set up a very simple plate vibration model. The plate is surrounded by PML except a small part with a rib on one side. Please see the attached model file. I want to use free Tetrahedral to mesh the plate (and the rib) and use swept mesh to mesh PML layer. However, I got error message "Mesh of linking face must be a structured quad mesh" at the face which between PML and the rib on the plate. I do not understand this message at all. Can anybody give some suggestions? Thanks

3 Replies Last Post 17 mar 2015, 16:13 GMT-4

Posted: 9 years ago 17 mar 2015, 03:31 GMT-4
Hi

You have to mesh first the upper (or lower) plane with triangular elements and mapped mesh.

More Operations --> Free Triangular
More Operations --> Mapped

Then you can sweep across the plate. Attached my solution, if you have version 5.0.

br
Lasse
Hi You have to mesh first the upper (or lower) plane with triangular elements and mapped mesh. More Operations --> Free Triangular More Operations --> Mapped Then you can sweep across the plate. Attached my solution, if you have version 5.0. br Lasse

Posted: 9 years ago 17 mar 2015, 15:50 GMT-4
Hi, Lasse

Thanks for answering the question. I am using 4.3b. So I cannot open your solution. I am kind of confuse about your operation. I need to mesh the upper plane with trianglular elements and mapped mesh at same time or you mean I either use triangluar element or mapped mesh to mesh the upper plane. I am able to mesh the upper plane (except PML layer) with free triangular and successfully sweep across the entire plane. However, the result looks not right. see attached vibration out-of-plane displacement field. Any ideas about it.

Hi

You have to mesh first the upper (or lower) plane with triangular elements and mapped mesh.

More Operations --> Free Triangular
More Operations --> Mapped

Then you can sweep across the plate. Attached my solution, if you have version 5.0.

br
Lasse

Hi, Lasse Thanks for answering the question. I am using 4.3b. So I cannot open your solution. I am kind of confuse about your operation. I need to mesh the upper plane with trianglular elements and mapped mesh at same time or you mean I either use triangluar element or mapped mesh to mesh the upper plane. I am able to mesh the upper plane (except PML layer) with free triangular and successfully sweep across the entire plane. However, the result looks not right. see attached vibration out-of-plane displacement field. Any ideas about it. [QUOTE] Hi You have to mesh first the upper (or lower) plane with triangular elements and mapped mesh. More Operations --> Free Triangular More Operations --> Mapped Then you can sweep across the plate. Attached my solution, if you have version 5.0. br Lasse [/QUOTE]

Posted: 9 years ago 17 mar 2015, 16:13 GMT-4
I looked at your model. I used triangular elements in the center parts where you had them. On the boundary domains I used mapped mesh which makes tetragonal elements. Then I swept them simultaneously. At least in 5.0 it works with no problems. Look at the attached image.

I looked at your model. I used triangular elements in the center parts where you had them. On the boundary domains I used mapped mesh which makes tetragonal elements. Then I swept them simultaneously. At least in 5.0 it works with no problems. Look at the attached image.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.